Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Putting the Party in Wedding Party: Choosing the "Circus"

WWDD? This is a question I ask myself quite often, "What would David (Tutera) Do?!" David Tutera would probably NOT suggest 10 bridesmaids. David Tutera would quite possibly shake his head, roll his eyes and tell the cameras that having 10 bridesmaids and 10 groomsmen is a "circus".

Now, just because I ask myself what he would do, that is not to say I let that dictate what I will.

Okay, with that said. I totally have 10 amazing, beautiful, charming, hilarious bridesmaids (inclusive of two lovely Maids of Honor). Coming to this decision was fun and by no means was it without thought! Prior to getting engaged, the only wedding-related detail I ever really considered was my bridesmaids and who they would be.

And I always envisioned a small bridal party, like this (minus the kinda graphic leg-grabbage):


However, when it came down to it, I knew that what I envisioned was impossible. Why? Well, I have no "blood sisters" but I have a lot of very, very close lady-loves. These are girls, most of whom I've known since childhood, that have seen me at my worst, partied with me at my best and have put me in my place and loved me all the same—and who better to stand by me on the happiest day of my life than those women? 

Making the decision easier was the fact that Mr. Seal has lots of brothers and close cousins and also wanted to include my two brothers and two cousin-brothers (not "cousin-brothers" in a backwoods southern way—they are cousins raised like my brothers). He, therefore, matched my 10 girls with ease.

So instead, our wedding party will look something like this:

While some people gasp or scoff when they hear our number of attendants, I smile. I smile because we are lucky to have such a large and amazing group of people to take part in our big day. I believe there are exceptions to every "wedding rule" and that some of the time, those exceptions make for the most exceptional and memorable weddings.

Do you have a large wedding party? Do people give you a tough time or roll their eyes because of it?

<3,

Seal

4 Comments:

Emu said...

I think you're in the right with your numbers based on your guest count. Aren't you supposed to have an attendant for every like 10 people or something?

Carina Conte said...

More bridesmaids=more smiles. :)

Unknown said...

There are exceptions to rules. I'm glad you made this decision. If you know what will make you happy, then, do it! After all, it's you and Mr. Seal's wedding. What others would think shouldn't matter. I actually think that the big group is what made your wedding different from the rest, and every wedding should be unique in its own way. So, congratulations! How did the wedding go, by the way?

Lavonne Seaton

Hildred Congdon said...

Decisions like this are purely based on you and your partner. There has to be a perfect setup for whatever you prefer. But, of course, a perfect wedding takes a lot of time and effort. How willing are you to push your limits and how far can you go to make it happen? That's just one of those things that you have to consider if you're going for a big entourage for your wedding. Spiderman said that with great powers come great responsibilities. Congratulations!

Crystal Gardens Banquet Center