Friday, February 18, 2011

Chasing Platinum: The Reception Hunt

Have you ever watched "Platinum Weddings" on WEtv? You knooow, the one where couples spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to make their wildest wedding dreams a reality? Well I have, but really that's not saying much 'cause I've given just about every wedding TV show out there a shot. Yes, even CMT's "My Big Redneck Wedding" thanks to MOH Meghan.

Our favorite cake from "My Big Redneck Wedding". I think it has flair, no?:

Image via CMT
Anyhow, I find "Platinum Weddings" to be kind of a depressing show to watch some times. Some of these people spend millions of dollars on their weddings and while I am a firm believer that people should spend however much (or however little) they'd like on their wedding —I think after a certain point it's possible to be excessive. Maybe I'm just jealous that I won't be giving away blocks of gold as favors at our wedding. Anyway, some of these "Platinum" couples spend an average couple's entire wedding budget on the flowers alone! Ahh, but I digress.

So, with that being said, I was totally inspired by this show. I know, I know...think of me as a pleasantly surprised skeptic! One of the couples (Brittany & Shahram) got married and had their reception at a gorgeous site in San Francisco. According to the wedding planner who initially showed them the site, it was the former Federal Reserve Banking Hall and has lots of history. The architecture was gorgeous and I was in love (again).

Image via WEtv

Sigh. This was undoubtedly the venue of my dreams and although it would comfortably fit our 250 person guest list, I was firmly convinced it was out of reach. We went on looking at venues in the East Bay Area (a bit closer to where I live) but nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to The Bently.

Eventually, with some encouragement from beautiful Mama Seal, I took a tentative step toward our San Francisco dream and e-mailed the venue coordinator. The cost was about as steep as I imagined but I didn't let that discourage us from at least taking a look at the place—I mean what could it hurt to look?

Mr. Seal and I hopped on BART (our local metro) and headed out to the City. The sight we saw upon arriving was, for lack of a better word, breathtaking.

Let me share. Without further ado, I introduce to you The Bently Reserve (cue Debussy's "Clair de Lune"):

No really, cue up the music! Press Play!






 Is the music playing yet? 
(C'mon, I'm cheesy but go with it—I promise it's more amusing this way)
 







  Above images via The Bently Reserve
Image via Checkers Catering/Photo by Choco Studio


I left in a daze. Two weeks later I brought Mama Seal and two of my aunties to see the venue in person. With the Mama's "seal" of approval, we signed the contract and put down the deposit the next day.

So, even though I convinced myself, as I always do, that dreams are not reality—I have my dream reception venue. Though it was more than we were originally looking to spend, it is absolutely worth every nickel. I didn't compromise when it came to who I would marry, so why would I compromise on where we would celebrate our marriage?!

That's all for now kiddies!

Did you have a dream reception site? Did you talk yourself out of it? Were you inspired by a TV show?

xoxo,

Miss Seal
(personal photos unless stated otherwise)

6 Comments:

Teaching Hathaways said...

I love reading your blogs, and it brings me back to all of the lovely wedding details!! If only I didn't have to make a living, I would help people plan weddings!!

I didn't really have a dream wedding site or reception site. We ended up having both at the same location though, which was amazing. We got married at the end of June, and our wedding was outside. Luckily it wasn't too warm, but the sky was amazing that day, and our photographer took some amazing shots with the sky in the background!

Your place looks amazing, and I can't wait to read about all of the other amazing things you are going to do!!

Congrats again!

Emu said...

I can't wait for all the classy photos that place is going to supply. Seriously, we could play beer pong and still be classy... just because we're there.

MarieDeezy said...

@Teaching Hathaways: Thank you so much for all of your kind words! I really appreciate that you found a connection with my blog. I hope you stick around and keep reading :)Sounds like you had a gorgeous Summer wedding!

@Tracy: heheh, I never considered beer pong, but you're absolutely right--I bet it'd still be pretty classy <3

New said...

Wow Marie! Those pictures took my breath away. Oh goodness, if pictures brought tears to my eyes I can only imagine I'll be a blubbering idiot on your special day. I am so happy that you're not only going to marry the man of your dreams but you'll have a fairytale wedding as well.

And to answer your question. I will have my dream wedding considering I'll be marrying my duder. Unfortunately, when it comes to venues and decorations and everything else, we will be going budge and skimping on everything. So, it'll be far from a dream in that sense. But at least I'll have my bubby, family, and my ladies With me. :)

New said...

And, uh, this is Carina. Not Brandon. I didn't know I was signed in as him. Oops! I suggest you read the last comment while imagining Brandon's voice. I just did and I had a good laugh.

MarieDeezy said...

@Carina: you are such a sweetheart :) Hehehe, I'm sorry I made you cry--but I know they were happy tears, so I'm not THAT sorry <3 Lol. When I first saw the comment and saw Brandon's name, I figured it was you, but still read it imagining it was Brandon...and you're absolutely right, I got a great chuckle out of it. Mwah! Xoxo.