Friday, July 8, 2011

An Impressive Decision: Wax Seals

...and no, I don't mean wax versions of these Seals:


I mean these wax seals:
Image via Tampa Bay Calligraphy

 Image via RageHaus

I gave you a all a sneak peak of our invites a few weeks back, and though I still can't reveal the final product, I can tell you about the seals we've made for them.

We're going the pocket-fold route and I long toyed with how we would keep that flailing little flap at bay. I truly and honestly don't know where the wax seal inspiration stemmed from, I just recall waking up one morning firm in the decision that seals were the way to go. (This may or may not have been subconsciously influenced by my bee moniker.)

Despite my confidence, however, I found the thought of pouring hot wax onto our (not so cheap) invites extremely unnerving. So, I did as any savvy kid would do and logged onto the 'bee for some guidance—and guidance I found! Thanks to Mrs. Sewing's awesome DIY tutorial post, I was introduced to the ingenuity of hot glue gun faux wax.

Going with faux wax had a few perks—1) no mess on my invites, 2) I could make these bad boys far in advance and 3) I am super prone to burns and the further I stay away from open flames...the better. Seeing as how I couldn't think of a single downside (perhaps other than to its minimal associated cost?) to using faux wax, I ordered some wax sticks and a monogrammed stamp from Nostalgic Impressions.

I invited FSIL Tracy over for a crafting date and we got to work.

Our tools of destruction!

I have to make mention (for any of you thinking of attempting this project) that using a glass casserole dish as your wax surface, as Mrs. Sewing did in the aforementioned tutorial, is totally the route to go. We first attempted using wax paper but this had some disastrous and frustrating results and lots of ripping was involved.

FSIL Tracy's steady hand at work atop the casserole dish!

I'd say we spent a total of maybe an hour stamping these little guys and I now have a hearty stash just waiting to be adhered to our invites.

They, quite literally, look like gold!

Are you using seal stamps on your invites? Did you use traditional or faux wax?

0 Comments: