Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Our Favors, Part II: The Grandmother I Knew

Last post I wrote about our See's Candies buffet guest favors and explained the family history behind that decision. I had mentioned that there was a bit more to be told on the favor-front and I will now (finally) explain what that "bit more" is!

And this time it has to do with this pretty lady:

My Nana Sayra Laverne



I was fortunate enough to have Nana in my life for eight years. During that very short time, before losing her battle with cancer in 1993, she taught me the essentials—like an appreciation for costume jewelry, how to play poker, and a passion for San Francisco sports teams.
 Go Niners! Nana and Papa Seal with a handful of their grandchildren (I'm that little thing on the bottom left)

She was a wonderfully strong-willed woman with a ton of heart. And though her life was definitely not without adversity, she took each trial and tribulation with gumption and grace. 

After moving from her home state of Georgia, she met and married my Papa Seal and the two raised their four boys in San Francisco.

Nana and Papa Seal at my uncle's wedding

Daddio Seal (bottom center) and his three older brothers

For years, Nana Seal worked as a carhop at a Mel's Drive-in.

And this, my dear friends, is where the favors come in.

Seeing as how we worked my Grandma Mary's profession into our wedding, we've decided to do the same with my Nana. So, in lieu of traditional favors and in addition to the candy buffet, our guests (the smart ones that stick around) will be treated to a late-night snack courtesy of Nana.

 Image via ZankYou/Photo by Sheer Elegance

Though they won't be served via roller skates, towards the close of the evening, our caterer will be bringing out sliders and fries in red checkered boats.

I can't say I knew my grandmother well or that I knew her for long, but it is with great happiness that I can say I knew her at all. And having her with us at our wedding, in any small way, warms my heart :)

Are you having a late-night snack? How has family history influenced your wedding decisions?

1 Comment:

Emu said...

"I'm that thing..." Awesome.
This is such a good idea! Its not only lovely that you're incorporating both grandmothers but the fact that you're serving something late to soak up some of the booze is a fantastic idea!