Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shoes it or Lose it: My Solemate, So Close...Yet So Far.

I come to you today with both good news and bad. I typically like to lead with bad news to leave off on a happy note, but that just won't jive well with my story.

So, here goes.


After my unenthusiastic start to shoe shopping and my online shopping fail a couple of weeks ago, I finally decided it was time to physically head to the stores to touch, smell and taste (ok, maybe not so much smell, and definitely not taste) some footwear.

So Mama Seal and I decided to hit the stores this past Sunday in search of my wedding shoes. We probably could have planned this trip better - stores tend to close early on Sundays and we didn't exactly compensate for that, but off we went nonetheless.

We headed to Macy's in Union Square first and nothing jumped out at me. Nothing. Mama Seal is an employee of Macy's and finding the perfect shoes there would have had an amazing monetary perk: 20% off. But for whatever reason, despite having a lovely selection, not a single pair of shoes spoke to me...so onward we went.

Our next stop was at Nordstrom a short walk away. I should mention that, at this point, the store was about 30 minutes short of closing, so we were in a bit of a rush. Anyhow, we made our way to what I like to call the "danger zone" (aka the "Salon Shoes" section - think Christian Louboutin, Jimmy Choo and Kate Spade). My eyes could hardly focus on a single pair and my heart started pounding - there were so many viable options. I eventually honed in on a set of particularly sparkly shoes just as Mama Seal picked them up and said, "What about these?!"

What about those indeed! Mama Seal handed the champagne colored shoe off to me and something wonderful and unexpected happened - I fell in love. And I fell hard. They were a bit out of my initial shoe budget but my dress came in way under budget and I was therefore able to contently rationalize the difference.

I anxiously fidgeted on the couch as the helpful sales lady went to fetch my size. The minutes seemed like years and she eventually returned with some of the worst news a shoe salesperson can deliver, "We don't have them in your size, but..." I was relieved to hear there was a qualification, "...I have them in your size in a different color and we can always order them in the right color if you want."

OK. I could handle that.

After one more exchange for the next size up and a comfortable stroll around the department, I had concluded that these were indeed my wedding shoes. Well, not the exact pair I tried on - the currently intangible pair that needed to be ordered in the correct color and size.

The sweet gal seemed confident that tracking me down a pair would be no issue and I followed her to the check stand ready to swipe my card and give her my information.

And then, the terrible began.

Her computer system informed her there was only a single pair available in my size and it was at a Nordstrom that was actually closer to my home. Sounds like great news, right?

No. A call to the store revealed that the shoes were returns and looked visibly worn. And I was not prepared to spend such a large chunk of money on pre-worn shoes. I was defeated. Heartbroken. I even asked the lady, "Are those the only pair of shoes left in my size in the whole wide world?" and she said yes.

Obviously this was not true - but they were the only shoes left at Nordstrom so my hunt needed to continue elsewhere.

If you've made it this far without pictures you deserve a treat. A sparkly, amazing, fantastic treat that will make your heart skip a beat! (Ok, maybe that's just me.) I present to you the elusive pair of Jimmy Choo shoes that need to be on my feet come November.

The 'Isabel' Pumps (shown in gold) via Jimmy Choo

The pictures really do them no justice at all. They are so much more sparkly and striking in person and the ones I want are a slightly different shade (but I was a terrible blogger bee and forgot my camera). For some pictures that will better express their beauty, check out Mrs. Panther's equally blingy shoes. She settled on a different (yet totally stunning) style, but the champagne Choo's she first purchased are the same material and color as the ones I lust for and will give you an idea of how my dream shoes shimmer.

My favorite part? They're the most gorgeous pair of short-heeled pumps I've ever seen and are the exact perfect height to ensure that I won't tower over Mr. Seal.

Sigh.

Yet. They are not mine. At least not yet. By the time we left the store empty-handed, all of the nearby stores that carry Jimmy Choo were closed and I was forced to deal with an emptiness in the pit of my stomach. They need to be mine! They will be mine.

I hope to come back with better news next time, hive.

Did you hit any speed bumps on the road to your perfect wedding-day shoes? Did you eventually overcome these obstacles?

1 Comment:

Emu said...

Congrats! Its nice when you make decisions, and are able to mark something off on your list.