Friday, September 16, 2011

Sweetheart Table vs Head Table

So remember how we have a ginormous wedding party, right? To refresh your memory, we've got: 10 bridesmaids, 10 groomsmen, 2 ushers, 2 flower girls and a ring bearer. Phew! Anyhoo, when it came time to deciding whether we'd setup a head table for the entire wedding party or a cozy sweetheart table for just the Sealman and I, the size of our wedding party definitely factored into that decision.

After meeting with our catering coordinator and going over the dimensions of our reception space, we were presented with a few options.

1. A (very) long, single-sided head table.

 Like this, but longer.
Image via ArisingImages

Though I liked the idea of being surrounded by my wedding party, I didn't like the thought of splitting up couples. As it's physically impossible to fit a table long enough to include everyone and their date, quite a few of our party members would be separated from their significant other.

2. A long, double-sided head table (would enable us to keep couples together).

This option eliminated the issue of dividing couples but introduced a new problem: members of our wedding party would be seated with their backs to the rest of the room. If we were having all long tables, this may not have posed as such an obstacle in my mind, however, as our guest tables will all be rounds, I wasn't keen on the idea. Firstly, I don't want it to look as though we are alienating ourselves from our guests. Secondly, I don't think our attendants would be thrilled about facing away from all the action.

3. The tiered approach.
Image via MJ Decorations

While this is surely a logical option - both aesthetically and financially it was not quite so desirable. For whatever reason, I'm not crazy about how this would look in our venue; add in the extra cost for renting risers and the thought of trying to climb in my wedding gown and you have a recipe for not gonna happen.

5. A table for two.
 Image by Luster Studios

Image via PolkaDotBride/Photo by Jessica Claire

I've really fallen in love with the idea of a sweetheart table. Though I have no delusions of privacy for Mr. Seal and I, I do rather like the idea of being presented as a duo. So the Sealman and I, after reviewing all of the above options, have decided that this is the route for us.

Our sweetheart table will be situated in the center of the room, facing the dance floor. As we'll be serving as a centerpiece of sorts for the room, I thought it would be reasonable to ask our florist to snazz it up a bit.
Image/Floral Arrangements via Enchanted Garden

So she's going to create a similar arrangement (but in our colors of course) to the one in the photo above. The centerpiece of our table will be my sure-to-be-lovely bouquet. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)

Anyway, kids, what are you doing for your wedding? A head table? A sweetheart table?

0 Comments: