Friday, May 20, 2011

Honoring the Veterans

So remember how the Seals chose to get married on November 11th? Just in case you're unfamiliar with the importance of this date in the US, I'll clue you in - it's Veterans Day. This was definitely something that Mr. Seal and I took into consideration. Both of my late grandparents and several of my uncles served in the military and both the Sealman and I have a few cousins currently serving - we don't want to take away from the importance of this day by any means.

Image via Mantoos

So in an effort to pay homage to our beloved veterans and thank them for sharing their day with us (as many will physically be in attendance on the day) we've devised a plan!

Think a family photo display like Mrs. Jellyfish's - except the pictures will be entirely devoted to our vets past and present.


 On the left is my Grandpa Alfonso (a veteran of the Navy) and on the right is my Papa Albert (a former Merchant Marine)

The centerpiece to this table will be my Grandpa Alfonso's burial flag (encased as shown below). I know that may sound a bit somber but I really don't think it will come off as such once surrounded by the photos of our smiling friends and family.

Image via Veterans Medals

I like the idea of  being able to simultaneously showcase our family history and pay homage to our veterans for their dedicated service.

What do you think? Are you displaying old family photos? Does your wedding date fall on a national holiday? Are you working this into the wedding somehow?

2 Comments:

Emu said...

This is an awesome idea, your whole wedding seems directly connected to your ancestors. You're including people not directly related to you as well through right? Because I've been trying to hunt down a couple of pictures of my grandpas. Just checking.

MarieDeezy said...

Heck yes I still want the pics of your grandpas! :D