Tuesday, August 30, 2011

March of the Seals: Our Ceremony, in Music

Our ceremony is nearly planned and I can't wait to share the details with you all! For now though, while we put on the finishing touches and get everything approved, I am going to get things started by sharing our ceremony music.

Through the church in which we will be wed, we were put in contact with Mrs. L, the lovely music coordinator/organist. She's is a kind older woman who, upon calling her with only a vague idea of music selections, kindly proceeded to sing the options for me. Seriously. It was with her perfectly pitched "la da daaaas" and "da di duuuums" that I chose most of our music.

Prelude: She assured me that she would play several appropriate selections during the seating of the guests. As I had no interest in hand-selecting 30-45 minutes worth of music, I was perfectly content in completely relinquishing the control.

Seating of the mothers: During the seating of the mothers, we decided on "Air on G" by Bach.

Video via YouTube

Bridesmaid Processional: Given my large bridal party,  Mrs. L informed me that "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" (also by Bach) would probably be the best choice. The song is longer, affording plenty of time for my 10 beautiful ladies to make their way down the aisle.
Video via YouTube

Procession of the Bride (aka me): Very early on, I knew I wanted to make my grand entrance to Pachelbel's "Canon in D". Given that we are only hiring Mrs. L (who is an organist), I was a bit concerned that the song would sound funny without string instruments. Thankfully, YouTube quelled some of those fears for me as it seems "Canon in D" on an organ is hardly rare and equally beautiful.
 Video via YouTube

Communion Music: I've given Mrs. L the creative freedom to play selections as she sees fit.

Offeratory Music: When we present flowers to Mary "Ave Maria" will be played.
Video via YouTube

Recessional: Finally, we will all making our exit to Handel's "Allegro Maestoso" from the Water Suite.
Video via YouTube

Whew! So that's our ceremony in music. I'm so thankful I had Mrs. L to guide me through everything otherwise I would've been totally clueless and, more than likely, played no part in choosing our music.

How'd you choose the music for your ceremony? Did someone help you out?

1 Comment:

Kayte said...

Ahhh Canon in D....only song i ever wanted played at our wedding :) and the version we chose (ok I chose hehehe) had waves crashing in the background. so love love love that song!