Wednesday, June 8, 2011

DIY Table Numbers: Easy as 1, 2, 3

I figure, with about 5 months to go, it's time for me to actually start doing all of the craft projects I have planned. In my last post I mentioned how my dining room table has turned into the table of temporarily abandoned projects and, while such a description is still accurate, I've managed to make progress.

Wanna see?!



I've completed about half of my table numbers and it feels goooood. The project has taken a bit longer than I anticipated (and trips to four different Michael's stores to track down all of the wooden numbers), but it's been pretty simple and fun. I decided against naming our tables and stuck to the basics.

For some incredibly adorable and endearing reason, Mr. Seal took an interest in this project and I really enjoyed both his company and his creative input! Together we tracked down all 41 numbers, looked for frames and decided on the background paper (and let me tell you, he had quite the opinion about that background paper).

With all of my products in-hand, it was time to get down to business. I first spray painted all of the numbers and frames and let those dry for a day.
  (Yes, that is R2D2 and one of my Dad's Grammys serving as paper weights.)

I felt like the frames needed matting so I hand cut all those bad boys using sketchbook paper, an X-Acto knife and a ruler (this was pretty time consuming, but I couldn't think of an easier way to do this). Using a paper cutter, I cut all of the gold background paper down to size).

After cleaning the glass from the frames, I layered the gold paper behind the matting.


Finally, using Krylon spray adhesive, I affixed the numbers to the glass. (As a sidenote: the spray adhesive doesn't spray like a can of spray paint does—it more so shoots out adhesive like Spiderman. Hehe. I got the hang of it soon enough, but it was surprising nonetheless and I thought I'd give you a head's up if you're unfamiliar.)

After cleaning up the extra adhesive from the edges of the numbers, I wound up with this:

It's not often that one of my craft projects lives up to my initial vision but this one did, so I'm quite pleased with how these turned out ;)

Here's a cost breakdown for ya if you're interested:
  • 25 frames from the Dollar Tree: $28
  • 41 wooden numbers from Michael's: $46 (YIKES! Those little guys added up!)
  • 2 cans of Antique Gold spray paint from Michael's (purchased with 40% off coupons): $8
  • 1 can of spray adhesive from Michael's (also purchased with coupon): $4
  • 13 sheets of pretty gold filigree cardstock: $15
  • 1 pack of sketchbook paper for frame matting: $4
Total Cost: $105 for 25 frames (or $4.20/frame)


What are you doing for table numbers? Are you going the DIY route?

2 Comments:

Emu said...

Hooray for progress! They look awesome!

Anonymous said...

These look amazing!! Thank you so much for your post - I am going to try and tackle this project this weekend! Wedding is November 5th so wish me luck!