Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Shoes it or Lose It: Apathy is Afoot

Schuhe. Zapatos. Scarpe. Chaussures. обувь. Kutsu. Or you may know them as...


Call me a bad bride but no matter how I say it, I just can't really get into shoe shopping for the wedding. I find this to be particularly peculiar because I really do love shoes. Back before we got engaged I'd spend a hefty chunk of each paycheck on funky flats or sessy stilettos - so WHAT GIVES?!

I look at sites like Zappos and Endless and, while both are excellent sources (with awesome return policies), I find myself completely...uninspired. I mindlessly click through the pairs of shoes in hopes that something will jump out and say "BUY ME! BUY ME! YOUR FEET NEED ME!" But nothing happens. Nothing. No desire to keep looking. No excitement. Just the occasional, "Oh, those aren't terrible."

Here's what I do know and perhaps this is contributing to my apathy. In my everyday life, when I'm not wearing cute flats or flip-flops, my taste in shoes tends to gravitate towards high heels (4" and up). This normally isn't an issue except, for whatever reason, I just don't want to be taller than Mr. Seal on our wedding day. I'm 5'8" and the Sealman is 5'10" - which means if I rocked a 4" pair of heels I'd be hovering over him. I think my reservations on this front mostly have to do with my tendency to bend my knees when I'm taking pictures with people shorter than I am (sonotcute).

Anyhow, here are some "too high" shoes I don't hate so you can get an idea of my taste:
Badgley Mischka "Babette" (4.5'') Sandal via Nordstrom

Rose Gold Brian Atwood Leather Platform (4.75") Pumps via Saks (Also seen as the rightful subjects of Miss Sparkler's adoration)

Badgley Mischka (4") "Babette" Heels via Zappos

These are only about 3" which is a bit more do-able.
Claudia Ciuti 'Janine' d'Orsay Pump via Nordstrom

Proof I can get excited about wedding day shoes: I am totally coveting Mrs. Tartlet's Louboutins
Photo by Craig Paulson/Image via Mrs. Tartlet


Really, I think there is a simple solution to the above issue. Say I do fall in love with a pair of super high heels, I could always join the "Two-Shoe Bride" club and invest in some adorable flats for the pictures and for the reception.

Badgley Mischka 'Dainty' Flats via Endless

But I guess I should first fall in love with one pair before deciding I'm capable of finding two. I just don't know hive. Maybe I'm not getting into the whole bridal shoe shopping experience because I haven't actually tried any on? I'm totally a hand's on gal and this searching online through 2D images thing just isn't doin' it for me.

Anyhow, next time I check in on the shoe front I promise to have tried on at least three pairs! I really think that will help facilitate my excitement.

Yay?

Did you have a hard time getting into the shoe hunt? Where did you find your shoes?

2 Comments:

Kayte said...

I was the same way but you know for me it is cuz i would rather be in cute flats than any type of heel! All i could find were the super high ones which you know i would kill myself in! I finally found some at Macy's but the minute the pics were mostly done i switched to silver flip flops :) :)and I gave each of my girls a pair of silver flip flops for them to wear too (and most went down the isle in them...:))

Emu said...

Me and Raf are going shoe shopping after breakfast on Friday, you should come. We could make a day of it, maybe even go into the city if nothing in the area strikes a fancy. Just an idea.