Thursday, June 9, 2011

Exploring the Superstitions of a Wedding

The Sealman and I like baseball. I have a mild (although Mr. Seal would argue it's not so mild) form of OCD. Mr. S, too, suffers from his own compulsions. When these things are compounded you can surmise that the Seals, well...
 

No walking under ladders, no opening umbrellas indoors and we're both really careful with mirrors - you get the point. 

Cue the Stevie Wonder background music:
 Video via YouTube

Our beloved baseball is a sport of superstitions and we play into it. For example, Mr. Seal won't come to my mom's house any more for dinner while the Yankees are playing because "The Yankees are 1 and 6" when he's there. And you know what? Call me crazy, but I understand it and let him be.

 Mr. S wearing his rally cap while watching baseball + baseball news on two screens.

I, myself, am pretty convinced that all of my family's rituals helped the Giants win the World Series last year. My "rally babushka" outfit (basically me with a Giants scarf wrapped around my face) NEVER failed. Seriously...this babushka made our boys hit homeruns. 

In terms of my OCD, it mostly manifests itself in my need to keep my loved ones safe. When saying goodbye, I have to tell my family members: "Bye. I love you. Drive careful. Ride careful. Walk careful. (Fly careful if it fits). Have fun!" to which they must respond with "OK" (not "all right", "you got it", or any other variation). 

Yes, hive, this keeps them safe. I can't believe I just admitted that to you all - see how close I feel to you guys?!

Anyway, to the point - weddings are not without their own superstitions and I'd like to explore some of them.

1. Seeing the Bride before the wedding is "bad luck": As far as I know, this belief stems from ancient times and arranged marriages. The Groom wasn't to see the Bride before the wedding so he couldn't be all, "Oh no, she's ugly. I don't care how many goats her dad gives me, I'm not marrying that." Therein causing bad fortune for the family. 


I think the pug is pretty cute actually.

Anyway, this superstition has evolved into more of a tradition—many a bride and groom, though perfectly aware of what their SO looks like, prefer to wait until the altar. 

Our decision: While it would be beneficial to snap pictures before the wedding, Mr. Seal will not be seeing me until I step through the church doors with my father. I told you we were superstitious!

2. "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue...and a silver sixpence in her shoe": All of these items are seen as good luck tokens for the bride - each representing something. The "something old" is supposed to symbolize the Bride's past and her family, while the "something new" represents optimism for the future. Ideally, the Bride would get her "something borrowed" from someone who is happily married in hopes that some of that fortune rubs off on her. The "something blue" stems, most probably, from Roman times - brides wore blue as a representation of love, purity and fidelity. And lastly, the sixpence coin is a token of financial security.

Mrs. Cardigan's lovely silver sixpence/Photo by She-N-He Photography

Our decision: Seeing as how I've already admitted my flair for the superstitious—I will definitely have all of the aforementioned items come wedding day. (Plus, I think it's kind of a fun challenge to work them all in somehow.)

3. Rain on the wedding day: Depending on who you ask this can be either "good" or "bad" luck. In many cultures, most recognizably in Hindu tradition - rain is considered good luck because a "wet knot is harder to untie". Some think of rain on wedding day as a symbol of the many tears a bride will cry during her marriage.

Image via Metrolic

Our stance: While it seems as though this can fall either way, we'd still prefer if it didn't rain on our wedding day. This really has nothing to do with superstition and everything to do with vanity - my hair goes nuts in the rain and I'd love to not have to worry about my gown getting soaked before the ceremony. (Though we're having an indoor ceremony/reception...we have two different venues and are traveling by open trolley...there is still potential for disaster.)

There are tons more, but I won't bore you with them all. I just think it's interesting how some superstitions have evolved into full on customs! 

What about you guys - are you feeding into the wedding-related superstitions? Do you have any quirky ones of your own?

Oh and...Bye. I love you. Drive careful. Ride careful. Walk careful. Have fun!

Say OK! ;)

2 Comments:

Emu said...

Wow, superstitions that actually made sense at some point or another! Thats just amazing. I don't get most superstitions and I think the only one I really stand by is the throwing of salt into the eyes of the devil... mostly because its so theatrical.
If it rains on your wedding day, I will sacrifice my comfort and help to shield you and your dress from the rain during the ride... thats is, only if it please her majesty.


...ok.

MarieDeezy said...

Bahahaha. I'm going to agree with the throwing of salt into the eyes of the devil one too...sounds super dramatic for sure.