Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Calligraphy, Envelopes and Stamps, Oh My!: It's All in the Details, Part I

With the save-the-dates beautifully printed and in-hand, it was time to address them. I have to admit, I definitely wasn't looking forward to this part. I wouldn't quite say I have chicken scratch for penmanship, but it's not exactly...well...envelope-worthy?

Let me show you:

Personal photo

Notice how each line has a tendency to float up as it moves to the right? How about the wibbly-wobbly inconsistency in letter size? Yeah. Meh.

So after a few unsuccessful practice rounds, I figured it was time to accept defeat and find a calligrapher before I ran out of envelopes. Calligraphy definitely wasn't something I budgeted for, but thanks to my good friend Etsy I was able to find the most amazing (and affordable) calligrapher. Check her out here: NJW Calligraphy. I managed to catch her when she was just starting up and was offering crazy low rates.

For the next week or so, my poor roommates (brother Seal and Mr. Seal) had to hear all about the "Frederick" font, and the "Virginia" font and my personal favorite (and late arrival to my calligrapher's repertoire) the "Citadel" font. Despite having already budgeted and paid for the lesser-priced Frederick font, my heart was secretly set on the newly-introduced Citadel (confused yet?). Eventually, my heart lost the battle and I opted to not upgrade.

Or so I thought.

I sent off my envelopes to the calligrapher and, a few days later, was informed by owner Nellie that she had begun work on my project. She told me to check her blog in a few hours for some pictures of her progress—I, demonstrating excellent patience, checked every 15 minutes thereafter. And unbeknownst to me, I was in for a big surprise.

Nellie is so lovely that she decided to surprise me with the Citadel font I so desperately wanted (without charging me extra). Do not lose hope in humanity, apparently there ARE still amazing people left in the world!

Personal photo

All below photos courtesy of NJW Calligraphy. Kindly disregard the weird blank spots, I had to edit them for privacy:





I am so thankful to have found her.

Next Up: The STD stamp and send-off

Did you address all of your STDs or did you hire a calligrapher? Has a vendor ever pleasantly surprised you?

With love and appreciation,

Seal

6 Comments:

Barbara Yasuhara said...

Marie congratlations on a lovely post! And congratulations on your wedding...

Emu said...

While the STDs, envelopes, calligraphy, and rubber stamping were all wonderful and classy... my favorite part was the stamps.

They were pretty.

Kayte said...

I love love love the way they came out! shoot i carried it in my purse forever just to show people how amazing it looked! I could not have done better myself and you are a DIY for the STD's even if it was just to stamp(oh such a lovely word!!) the return address!! so proud :)

MarieDeezy said...

@Barbara: Awwe, thanks for reading and for your kind words ;) I had my panel interview today, I'll be sure to let you know how it went once I hear back!

@Tracy: Heheh, I'm glad you liked the stamps! I'm glad they turned out pwetty--I had reservations at first!

@Kayte: I'm glad I made you proud! I totally thought about you while I was stamping away :)

Jenna said...

i am definitely a detail person and feel they are all big decisions. i do however believe that MOST people just look at the date, and mark it on the calendar and throw it away. its true. which is a relief in once sense, and sad in another. all that stress for nothing? well its not for nothing if you enjoy the details. god is in the details. the details of us, right down to hairs on our head. i will say, i was totally impressed with the calligraphy and thought, "i had no idea marie-danielle had such nice penmanship!" and also thought "i need to get one of those address stamps....i wonder if she got it from etsy". detail people notice details. i'm glad you're enjoying the process. but beware...when the planning of the wedding is over, you'll still be in "planning mode". and first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes.....well, you know. ;)
loves.

MarieDeezy said...

@Jen: You definitely are a details person, and I think you are surely correct in stating that details people notice details.

For example, when my mom got her purse, I noticed every sweet detail of your packaging (the polka-dot packaging paper! the cute birdy stamp! the pretty ribbon on her surprises!)

Anyhow, basically I wanna be just like you when I grow up ;) Heheh. So if that old rhyme is right, I won't mind the carriage coming along after we're married.

Love you lots. Xoxox.