Friday, March 4, 2011

San Francisco, Let Me Count the Ways I Love Thee: Establishing the Theme

Image via Famous Wonders/Photo by David


“No city invites the heart to come to life as San Francisco does. Arrival in San Francisco is an experience in living.” 
-American Writer, William Soroyan


In case you haven't gathered by now, I love San Francisco. I love the way the lights reflect off the water and twinkle at night. The competing sounds of honking cars and barking seals. The cold crisp air sweeping in from the bay.

My family's roots are in this city.

My father was born in his hometown of San Francisco to my grandparents Sayra, a Georgian transplant to the Bay Area and Albert, an immigrant from the Philippines of split German/Filipino heritage.

Nana and Papa Seal (all personal photos unless otherwise noted):

Young Daddy Seal:


Mama Seal and her five siblings were raised a short 20 minutes southwest of San Francisco in the coastal town of Pacifica by her Spanish-American parents Alfonso and Mary. She and her two sisters spent most of their weekends breaking hearts in San Francisco.

(L to R) Auntie Mary Ann, Mama Seal, Grandma Seal and Auntie Ali:

(L-R) Auntie Ali, Mama Seal and Auntie Mary Ann:

In 1971, in what would be a precursor to "The Thrilla in Manila", Muhammad Ali fought Joe Frazier. As it happened, there was another, lesser-known fight that evening. My mom and her sisters were at a club in SF called "The Nightlife" and got into a brawl with some envious girls from the Mission District. It was then that my father, a musician in the band that was playing there that evening, first laid eyes on my mother. I'm not sure what it was, but somewhere between my mom and her sisters throwing punches and my dad trying to break up the fight...a love was born. They married a couple of years later.

My young parents with Seal Jr.:



My team is in this city!

My brothers and I were raised San Francisco Giants fans and year after year we languished with no championship wins. Poor Daddy Seal had it worse: he was tortured by close calls and losing seasons for as many years as he is old, 56.

In 2009, the year Mr. S and I got engaged, his Yankees won the World Series. As the 2010 season opened Mr. Seal, demonstrating amazing compromise, told me that my team would win the championship —and boooy was he was right.

A collection of pictures taken throughout the winning 2010 season:
 Daddio Seal with Brother Seal
Mr. Seal (in Giants gear!) with Mama Seal
Brother Seal Jr (my eldest bro) with his bride-to-be, Maria
 Mama Seal with Brother Seal Jr. at the victory parade!

It only seemed fitting that the Seals would marry in the City by the Bay. Don't get me wrong, Mr. Seal is a New Yorker through and through, but he says San Francisco reminds him of home in a way—a smaller version of home and with nicer people (his words, not mine).

As the planning moved forward, San Francisco progressed from simply being the location of our wedding to the theme. My taste went from "Old Hollywood Glamour in the Winter" to simply...."Old San Francisco".

Now sit back and enjoy a little San Francisco-inspired Journey:


Lots of love,

Miss Seal

(all personal photos)

5 Comments:

Emu said...

Yeah, San Fransisco is magic.

jessica! said...

Ohmigod, everytime I hear Lights I cry hysterically...this time both out of homesickness and happiness/excitement for your wedding!

MarieDeezy said...

@Tracy: Agreed!
@Jessica: Awwwe, I'm glad at least some of your tears were out of happiness. San Francisco misses you tooooo <3

Diane Rekow said...

My turtle dove you are blessed with the ability to inspire. I am one proud Mommy

MarieDeezy said...

@Mama: Thank you, mama! I'm so proud to have you as my mommy—you made me this way :)